Thursday, May 02, 2013

im happy to see you smiling

So my roommate Melissa and I were talking about Joan Baez last night before I went to work. We are all music lovers in this house. It is because of music (and tea) that Melissa and I became friends in the first place.

Anyway, the conversation brought us to a story I related about one of Joan's visits to the Boulderado. I was taking her (Joan) upstairs in the 1906 Otis elevator and I noticed that she was out of breath (the altitude in Boulder sometimes gets to people who are not used to it). Well, I asked her if she was okay, to which she replied, "Oh, I'm fine, we dance on the bus after every show."


Got to love Joan Baez!

This conversation brought to mind a poem that I forgot I had written, published in Hammers (of Chicago) Issue number 1, 1990. Published by Double Star Press (my old friend Nat David), here it is...


I'm Happy to See You Smiling
for Joan Baez 

As a child
I was indifferent to your fame,
Who can blame me
I was indifferent to life.
The strife simply passed me by
Like a motorist avoiding
The hitch hiker's eye.

But looking back
I can't deny your treasure
Singing loud    ringing proud
Revered!
I think Dylan would have said that
Had he not been distracted
By your disarming    alarming charm

And looking ahead
With millions waylaid    underpaid
Stricken with AIDS
Afraid,
We are grateful for a smile.

1990

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you people have a facebook fan page? I seemed for one on twitter but couldn't uncover one, I would really like to turn into a fan!

Also visit my web page: having trouble getting pregnant at 40